Denise M. Carneiro-Pla, MD
Denise M. Carneiro-Pla, MD
Denise Mugnol Carneiro-Pla, MD
Dr. Denise Carneiro-Pla is a board-certified general surgeon who is focused in endocrine surgery. She was educated in Brazil including medical school and residency in general surgery. In 1998, shortly after her residency, she was invited to the United States to be a researcher in endocrine surgery which started her interest and commitment to this specialty. The research fellowship at the University of Miami School of Medicine lasted for a period of three-and-a-half years and then extended to another year and a half as a clinical fellow of endocrine surgery under Dr. George Irvin's mentorship.
Following these five years of specialized endocrine surgery training in this center of excellence, Dr. Carneiro-Pla was ready to start her career as an academic surgeon in the U.S. and she repeated the residency in general surgery at the University of Miami School of Medicine.
Dr. Carneiro-Pla has been a faculty of the Department of Surgery at the Medical University of South Carolina since 2007, with a practice exclusively dedicated to endocrine surgery treating thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal surgical diseases. She remains academically productive writing papers and book chapters in endocrine surgery, mainly in parathyroid disease and cervical ultrasonography, which are her special interests.
Dr. Carneiro-Pla currently sees patients in downtown Charleston at Hollings Cancer Center and at North Charleston Specialty Care, where ultrasonography is available as part of cervical physical examination and to guide necessary procedures. The indicated surgeries are performed at our state-of-the-art hospital, Ashley River Tower.
- Absolute Total Care (NEIC)
- Absolute Total Care Healthy Connections Prime Dual Medicare/Medicaid Plan
- Aetna (PPO)
- AllWell by Absolute Total Care
- Ambetter from Absolute Total Care (Marketplace)
- BCBS Blue Essentials (Marketplace)
- Blue Choice Blue Option (Exchange Plan)
- Blue Choice Medicaid
- Blue Choice MyChoice (Available as individual commercial product)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Choice HealthCare (Group Health Plan)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal (FEP)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Planned Administrators
- Familial endocrine tumor syndromes
- Endocrine surgery
- Thyroid & parathyroid surgery
- Adrenal surgery
- Endocrine tumors - thyroid cancer
- Fellowship at HOSPITAL NOSSA SENHORA DA CONCEICAO
- Residency at HOSPITAL NOSSA SENHORA DA CONCEICAO BRAZIL
- Residency at University of Miami Hospital and Clinics/Sylvester
- Fellowship at University of Miami Hospital and Clinics/Sylvester
- UNIVERSIDADE DE CAXIAS DO SUL Medical School