Stephen Thacker, MD
Dr. Stephen A. Thacker is a pediatric infectious disease specialist providing inpatient and outpatient consultation services. He treats rare and complex conditions such as fever of unknown origin, recurrent fevers, congenital infections, tick-borne disease, and hardware-related infections in addition to travel and adoption medicine. Dr. Thacker strives to provide the best care possible in a patient and family-centered approach. He is passionate about patient safety and quality improvement of health systems.
His research interests have ranged from vaccine and pharmaceutical studies to device research to reduce the risk of infections after surgery. He takes pride in advocating for the health of children and has held leadership positions in the American Academy of Pediatrics. Prior to joining MUSC in 2022, he was faculty at Mercer University School of Medicine in the Departments of Pediatrics and Bioethics and Humanities in Savannah, GA. He received several awards from the A.A.P. and the City of Savannah for his leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Dr. Thacker received his undergraduate and medical doctorate degrees at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill. Following his Pediatric residency training in Nashville, TN at the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Dr. Thacker completed subspecialty training in Pediatric Infectious Diseases at Texas Children's Hospital in Houston, TX. Dr. Thacker is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics and serves as Medical Director for the Pediatric Antibiotic Stewardship Program.
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- Residency at Monroe Carell Jr Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Internship at Monroe Carell Jr Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Medical School at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
- Absolute Total Care (NEIC)
- Absolute Total Care Healthy Connections Prime Dual Medicare/Medicaid Plan
- Aetna (PPO)
- AllWell by Absolute Total Care
- Ambetter from Absolute Total Care (Marketplace)
- BCBS Blue Essentials (Marketplace)
- Blue Choice Blue Option (Exchange Plan)
- Blue Choice Medicaid
- Blue Choice MyChoice (Available as individual commercial product)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Choice HealthCare (Group Health Plan)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal (FEP)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Planned Administrators
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Preferred Blue (PPC)