Hatem Abdallah, MD
Dr. Hatem Abdallah is a board-certified General surgeon and sits as the Medical Director of Robotic Surgery for the MUSC Pee Dee Division in Florence, SC. In 2021, he established the Robotic Surgery program at MUSC Health Florence Medical Center, which has grown into a class-leading center for Robotic Surgery providing 24/7 multispecialty care. He is an active member of the American Hernia Society, the Robotic Surgery Collaboration as well as the International Hernia Collaboration. Dr. Abdallah has undergone additional training in complex hernia repairs, with a special interest in abdominal wall reconstruction for primary and recurrent hernias using both open and robotic techniques. He is also actively involved in training other surgeons on the use of the DaVinci Xi Robotic system and has performed over 600 Robotic Surgical operations.
Other clinical interests include robotic gallbladder surgery, robotic surgery for diverticular disease colon cancer, small intestinal tumors, gastric surgery including feeding access surgery, distal pancreatic tumors as well as splenic surgery. Additionally, Dr. Abdallah enjoys treating diseases of the thyroid parathyroid glands, breast cancer, and skin cancers including melanoma, lipoma removal, and skin lesions, in addition to performing port placements for chemotherapy.
Dr. Abdallah was born and raised in Ontario, Canada, and completed medical school at the American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, followed by an internship and General surgical residency at the Henry Ford Hospital, a busy level 1 Trauma Center in Detroit, Michigan. He then went on to complete his fellowship in the Mastery of General Surgery program at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem, NC. Dr. Abdallah's patient care philosophy is to treat each patient as family and strive for clinical excellence throughout each phase of a patient's care before, during, and after any procedure.
"Each patient is unique with regards to their clinical and social needs and should be approached with a thoughtful and tailored care plan to include both the patient and their support system, regardless of what their surgical needs may be." - Dr. Abdallah
Click to see Dr. Abdallah speak about abdominal core health.
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Hernia surgery
- Robotic and minimally invasive surgery
- Fellowship at Wake Forest Baptist Hospital
- Residency at Henry Ford Hospital
- Internship at Henry Ford Hospital
- Medical School at American University of Caribbean School of Medicine
- Absolute Total Care (NEIC)
- Absolute Total Care Healthy Connections Prime Dual Medicare/Medicaid Plan
- Aetna (PPO)
- AllWell by Absolute Total Care
- Ambetter from Absolute Total Care (Marketplace)
- BCBS Blue Essentials (Marketplace)
- Blue Choice Blue Option (Exchange Plan)
- Blue Choice Medicaid
- Blue Choice MyChoice (Available as individual commercial product)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Choice HealthCare (Group Health Plan)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal (FEP)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Planned Administrators
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Preferred Blue (PPC)