Patrick James Cawley, MD, MBA
Dr. Patrick J. Cawley is the Chief Executive Officer of MUSC Health and Executive Vice President for Health Affairs of the Medical University of South Carolina. In this role, he oversees all clinical matters as they relate to MUSC. During his leadership, MUSC has significantly expanded its clinical enterprise with a new Children's Hospital, a regional health network, multiple ambulatory sites, development of additional clinical affiliates, and numerous novel joint ventures. Additionally, MUSC has become a national leader in telehealth and has continued as South Carolina's #1 hospital/health system per US News and World Report. Under Dr. Cawley's leadership, MUSC continues to receive numerous quality awards across all domains of quality: safety, effectiveness, efficiency, equity, timeliness, and patient centeredness.
Previously, he served as the chief medical officer of MUSC Medical Center. In that role he was responsible for the quality and safety of all patient care programs as well as direct oversight of clinical service lines. He has led MUSC's improvement transformation in quality and patient safety, which was recognized by the University Healthsystem Consortium in 2007 and again in 2012 by awarding the coveted Rising Star honor to MUSC.
Dr. Cawley is a certified physician executive through the American College of Physician Executives and a fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives. He is a Fellow in the Liberty Fellowship Program and a member of the Aspen Global Leadership Network. He has been named one of America's Best Doctors®. He has also been awarded the Master of Hospital Medicine from the Society of Hospital Medicine.
Dr. Cawley is a Past-President of the Society of Hospital Medicine. He is actively involved in leadership roles in the American Hospital Association, the South Carolina Hospital Association, America's Essential Hospitals, Vizient, and the health care collaborative, Initiant.
Dr. Cawley graduated from the University of Scranton. He earned his medical degree from Georgetown University before completing an internal medicine residency at Duke University. He holds a Master of Business Administration from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. He is board certified in internal medicine with focused recognition in hospital medicine.
- Residency at Duke University
- Medical School at Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Absolute Total Care (NEIC)
- Absolute Total Care Healthy Connections Prime Dual Medicare/Medicaid Plan
- Aetna (PPO)
- AllWell by Absolute Total Care
- Ambetter from Absolute Total Care (Marketplace)
- BCBS Blue Essentials (Marketplace)
- Blue Choice Blue Option (Exchange Plan)
- Blue Choice Medicaid
- Blue Choice MyChoice (Available as individual commercial product)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Choice HealthCare (Group Health Plan)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal (FEP)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Planned Administrators
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Preferred Blue (PPC)