Colleen Ashley Donahue, MD
Colleen Donahue, MD is a fellowship trained colorectal surgeon that specializes in both benign and malignant diseases of the colon, rectum and anus. Her clinical interests include benign conditions of the anus and rectum, rectal prolapse, diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel disease and cancer of the colon and rectum, focusing on a multidisciplinary, team-based treatment approach. Dr. Donahue is committed to health equity, the advancement of surgical education and the continued improvement in surgical technology, including minimally invasive and robotic surgery.
She earned her medical degree from Tufts University School of Medicine followed by General Surgery Residency at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center in Massachusetts. During residency, she served as an Associate Clinical Instructor in Surgery at Tufts University School of Medicine. She received the Program Director Resident Award in 2020 and the Medical Student Clinical Teaching Award in 2019 and 2020. She went on to complete her Colon and Rectal Fellowship training at Cook County Health in Chicago, Illinois where she provided care for the underserved population of Chicago. During her fellowship training, she held the academic appointment of Associate Clinical Instructor in Surgery at Rush University in Chicago.
Dr. Donahue is a member of several surgical societies including the American College of Surgeons, Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, American Medical Women's Association, American Medical Association and the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, and her research has been presented at their national meetings.
Outside of her work, Dr. Donahue enjoys traveling to Guatemala, where she joins a team of medical professionals who care for and perform surgery on those who would otherwise not have access to medical care. As a native of Boston, Massachusetts, she is an avid Boston sports fan and former elite athlete, representing Team USA in synchronized figure skating.
- Anal cancer
- Colon cancer
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's ulcerative colitis)
- Rectal cancer
- Rectal prolapse surgery
- Residency at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center
- Medical School at Tufts University School of Medicine
- Absolute Total Care (NEIC)
- Absolute Total Care Healthy Connections Prime Dual Medicare/Medicaid Plan
- Aetna (PPO)
- AllWell by Absolute Total Care
- Ambetter from Absolute Total Care (Marketplace)
- BCBS Blue Essentials (Marketplace)
- Blue Choice Blue Option (Exchange Plan)
- Blue Choice Medicaid
- Blue Choice MyChoice (Available as individual commercial product)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Choice HealthCare (Group Health Plan)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal (FEP)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Planned Administrators
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Preferred Blue (PPC)