Bhisham Chera, MD
Bhisham Chera, M.D., is a board-certiﬁed radiation oncologist, Vice Chairman for Safety and Quality Assurance in the Department of Radiation Oncology, and the Wendy & Keith Wellin Endowed Chair in Radiation Oncology. His primary clinical emphasis is in the treatment of head and neck, and skin cancers.
Dr. Chera's academic interests are in head and neck oncology and health care quality and safety improvement. He is nationally and internationally known for his pioneering work in evaluating reduced intensity radiation and chemotherapy treatments for patients with human papillomavirus (HPV) associated with throat cancers. He has also co-invented a blood-based biomarker for HPV-associated cancers.
As of 2022, Dr. Chera has published over 100 manuscripts, ten book chapters, presented his research at over 100 national meetings, and has given 70 invited talks. His contributions to the field of patient safety and quality improvement include 22 publications, membership on the Radiation Oncology Health Advisory Committee, and serving as an international expert for the International Atomic Energy Agency.
- Residency at University of Florida
- Internship at Medical University of South Carolina
- Medical School at Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine
- Absolute Total Care (NEIC)
- Absolute Total Care Healthy Connections Prime Dual Medicare/Medicaid Plan
- Aetna (PPO)
- AllWell by Absolute Total Care
- Ambetter from Absolute Total Care (Marketplace)
- BCBS Blue Essentials (Marketplace)
- Blue Choice Blue Option (Exchange Plan)
- Blue Choice Medicaid
- Blue Choice MyChoice (Available as individual commercial product)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Choice HealthCare (Group Health Plan)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal (FEP)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Planned Administrators
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Preferred Blue (PPC)